Over the last month, many of you have expressed a desire to be better athletes. You want to know what it takes to get faster and how you can do this in and outside of our workouts. You want to know where you can go to learn more, and what you can do to be more coachable as a whole.
Here are thoughts from your coaches:
Nick: For me, the most important traits are willingness to do the work when no one is watching, and being smart and humble enough to know what they don’t know. If someone has those two traits, everything else is simple.
Jamie: I agree with Nick. I also look for someone who has open communication. I’m looking for someone who not only listens, but communicates in a mature and honest manner.
Joy: I’m looking for someone who is willing to do the little things outside of our Tuesday workouts to get better. It takes more than one day per week to get faster and stronger. I want to see someone who is willing to put in the work the other 5-6 days of the week (you can have a rest day). I also want someone who is not too emotional when things go downhill in training or in life. Don’t let the little things derail you. I look for someone who has their head in the game and who doesn’t give up at the first sign of a setback.
Here are a few other key traits coaches look for:
- Not too emotional when life gets in the way or you miss a training session
- Communicates open and honestly in a mature manner
- Follows the plan and believes in the training
- Will do the things necessary to get better outside of just running
- Mentally tough
- Willingness to learn
- Humble and willing to help others along the way
- Open minded and not a know it all
- Open to constructive criticism and willing to try new things
- Honest about goals, injuries, and limitations
- Someone who doesn't think results will come overnight; no sense of entitlement
- Willingness to admit mistakes; no "woe is me" attitude
As you strive to grow as a runner and athlete, remember these things. The same goes for us as your coaches. We want to exude the traits we are looking for in you. We aren’t perfect either, but we are here to do our best to help you get faster and stronger. We strive to be examples of what we look for in our athletes. Please know we are always here for you. We each have different coaching styles, and while we know we can be tough on you, it’s because we know you have it in you.
Keep up the good work! See you in the morning. #thefitclub417 #earnednotgiven
Who Picks the Topics?
Each week, we notice different things. We try to incorporate the questions we are receiving or the training issues we are noticing into our post(s) for the week. If there is something you'd like us to cover, let us know!