This time of year can be stressful, and sometimes a little overwhelming. Plus, there are cookies everywhere. They magically appear at every inopportune moment, and the closer you get to Christmas, the tastier the cookies become. The cookie fairy works overtime during December making sure every sprinkle is carefully placed and that each cookie is perfectly iced. Between the parties, the cookies, the concerts, events, and shopping, the holidays can become a bit much.
So, take a moment this week to thing about a few things:
1. What are some of the things you're grateful for in your life?
2. How can you bring a smile and a bit of happiness to someone today?
3. Remember this: you don't always know what's going on in the lives of others. Be patient, be kind, and be loving.
4. How can you give back to the things/people that give so much to you?
Now that you're relaxed, grab a cup of coffee (and a cookie) and let's talk about running :)
We started the week off with a fun group run to look at Christmas lights and enjoy hot chocolate. Thank you to Magda for allowing us to use her home. We greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for coming and for bringing your friends. Looking at the lights was fun, and Nick learned that 5 scoops of hot chocolate mix is too many. Spending time with TFC athletes is always guaranteed to bring a lot of laughs!
#WorkoutWednesday was all about 400s. We rocked 10-12 400m repeats and noticed some really big improvements from some of you!
We also noticed a few things and wanted to give you a few tips/things to work on:
1. Look up - keep your head up. When you look down, it becomes harder to breathe, and keeping your eyes up allows you to focus on what is ahead. Plus, it strains the back of your neck when you're constantly looking down.
2. Keep your arms down - stay relaxed. When you bring your arms up and start crossing them in front of you, you're wasting energy. You'll have to consciously think about this until it becomes a habit. Not sure, if you do this? Look at your running photos and also make an effort to think about your form next time you run.
3. Control your breathing
We had a fun weekend of racing! Lendall, Malinda, and Jody did Run for the Ranch half in Springfield on Saturday. Jody came home with a big, shiny PR!
Jody: 2:02:42 PR
On Sunday, Angela did the Santa Hustle half in Galveston, and also walked (or ran) away with a PR!
Angela: 2:24:04 PR
We know the holidays can be a hard time as many are out of town. We will meet on 12/23 at Harke, but we will NOT meet on 12/30. Enjoy a week off, and we'll hit it hard on 1/6!
If you have friends that are thinking of joining us, we would love to have them. There's nothing to be scared of. We will happily modify the workouts for those who are just beginning. Bring them along on 12/23. It's going to be a fun workout/game.
Also - we know many of you ladies will do some after Christmas shopping. We will do another gear order so we're giving you the chance to purchase the gear you want. Bring it to us by January 20 and we'll send it to the printer. Here's what you need to know:
- This will be a front print with the same logo/size we used on the Nike long sleeve tech shirts. So, make sure what your purchase can be printed on the front (ex: A 1/4 zip or a jacket won't work).
- The color will be the same (blue/white). Keep this in mind when purchasing your gear. Black/white/blue wouldn't be good choices. The printer recommends grey or bright colors.
- Attach a note to your gear with your name, brand of gear, and size. This will keep things from getting mixed up.
This gives you the chance to get what you want (short sleeve/long sleeve/tank) using your favorite brand.
As you go about your week, try not to lose the magic the season so joyfully brings. Do something kind for someone, smile at a stranger (not in a creepy way), and be the happiness our world so desperately needs.
Merry Christmas to you and your family. May your day be filled with love, laughter, and joyful blessings. Stay safe, and eat lots of cookies.
Who Picks the Topics?
Each week, we notice different things. We try to incorporate the questions we are receiving or the training issues we are noticing into our post(s) for the week. If there is something you'd like us to cover, let us know!